INTERVIEW : John Lawson – International Speaker and Author
In this episode John Lawson describes the moment he became a proper ‘Speaker’ – when he stole the show instead of moderating a panel at an event.
John is living proof you can bring your favourite interests with you everywhere you go – even into your work. He finds a way to bring Beyonce and ‘The Force’ into his presentations in his unique storytelling style.
John and he explains his process for preparing for his talks:
* Start with a Google search. Do your research on the topic and industry.
* Read the blogs, groups, forums. Find where the people in the audience are. Hear their voice, take some of that language and put it into the presentation.
* Take your expertise and put it into their lingo.
* Remember the ‘rule of 3’ – chunk the sections THEN the content down into 3.
* Tell a story of what you need to learn. Don’t just list the things they need to learn.
* Be aware of pacing.. don’t exhaust the audience with rapid pace.
* Don’t ignore the nerves. Push it right back out to the audience and they will feel it as energy.
* Difference between Keynotes and other forms of speaking. (hint: Keynote = inspiration)
* Leave the audience wanting more by leaving the stage with style …. THEN: be there for them at the event.
* The secret for keeping the audience with you after your talk.
* Book Vs no book?
Share This ArticleTweet